Thursday, September 4, 2008

Oriental Orientated

Posted by Cassie Chao at Thursday, September 04, 2008
September 4, 2008

So I was not able to post yesterday because a) the internet was working at BLCU since I had to pay for it today so b) my mother took my laptop for her own research purposes. But after paying 250 RMB for my first month of internet (~US$35) today, I finally have time to post some juicy updates!

Yesterday morning, I went with my mother to Hong Qiao Shi Chang, Red Bridge Market, where all the knock-offs are sold. But I tell you, even though much of the stuff is nice, China's black market had sky-rocketed inflation. I got a Dolce and Gabbana purse for 20 US bucks...What a rip! It was really, in my mind, worth maybe 5 bucks. Although it looks really nice, and so far is pretty sturdy, prices have gone way up since I was last in China in 2005. I also saw really cute Coach ballet flats. I don't actually think they make them in the States the style they make them here. For 9 US dollars, these look way better. Unfortunately, I thought I could bargain lower, but instead walked away... I know I will be back!!

Yesterday was also the first time I was able to see my dorm room, which by the way is amazing. Sorry to gloat fellow Alliance students, but yes I do have the biggest room of all ya'll! Below I will post some pictures. A few adjectives to describe the room: bright, large window, hard beds, a shower which is the entire bathroom, etc... I think the pictures will depict what I'm talking about.
It's funny too because my room faces my mom's hotel room (at a distance), so we did a phone conversation waving at each other.

Pictures can be clicked to enlarge.






Nice, huh? Well at least I think it's amazing since I had such low expectations. At least I have a western toilet...and it gets cleaned while I shower. That's an exaggeration since there is a shower curtain, but the ground gets washed as I shower because there is no specific "shower area". If you can see, the shower curtain draping over the toilet and the drain right on the floor next to the toilet. Quite interesting, if I say so myself.

So, after I moved in...which took quite a while, our director, Han Bing brought us all to eat the famous Peking Duck (a.k.a. Beijing Kao Ya). He said this is the first time in all of his experience that all the students made it in by day 1! We learned some useful table ettiquite. The person facing the door is always the host, and the person facing the host is the assistant host, which I seemed to be. We learned of honorary guests, second honorary guests and the people in the middle (didn't know what to call them). Hosts and assistant hosts have to play...well...host! Pour tea, serve food: first to the honorary guest on the right hand side of the host then the second honorary guest on the left side. Then, next to the first honorary guest of the assistant host and the second. Afterwards, the "middle" people. Yes, all customary Chinese culture! That's what I'm here for.

I was able to meet my roomate from Malaysia attending Harvard University. Yes, she's super smart, double E major (electrical engineering). Her and I both thought it was interesting how we got paired as roomates (from our pre-departure forms). Apparently, I put down that I sleep talk at night, and she put down that she has hearing difficulties and requries hearing aids, and at night she takes them out. So, pretty much she cannot hear me when I am yelling random things at night. Well, at least both of us thought it was hilarious.

Today, we had hours and hours of orientation. It seemed like it never ended. I woke up at 6:30 again and went to my mom's hotel to eat breakfast with her. At 9, we all met in the lobby to begin the campus tour, which consisted of walking down one long road to a classroom where we sat for...5 hours today. Of course, we had a break for lunch and a break to get our computers set up for internet. I do have to say that the time spent in the classroom was quite interesting, and not really boring. We learned about counterfeit money, our passports being sold if we lost them, other facts of fear... Finally, it was dinner time.

We went down the street with our three chinese teachers, whom have yet to decide which level chinese class they will be teaching. Somehow, I forgot all about the Chinese customary table ettiquete and sat across from the door and ended up Host! So, I served everyone's drinks and helped my "honorary" guests. Of course, we take this all in good fun and make fun of each other at the same time.

After dinner, a few of us went to a bootleg DVD store...didn't see much I liked, but I did see CJ7! I have more news about CJ7 later. Anyway, next to the DVD store was a pet store, and after going in I wanted to cry. There is a full grown Samoyed dog in a 2 x 4 cage panting from the heat, 3 siamese kitties in one cage, list goes on of animal cruelty. They were all expensive, but if I had the money I would buy them all. They were all so cute, and I couldn't bear to see them locked up. I told my mother of this injustice and she says that I should ask the pet store owner if I could take the dog for a walk every day. Perhaps I should, but I'm sure he'd think that I'm stealing her. Doesn't hurt to try. Otherwise, I could always spend 8,000 RMB (~US$1000) to free her. (Please Momma, please!)

After feeling really bad about these pets, I went to visit my mom for her last night here in Beijing. I read some Kung Fu Panda books she bought for Chris, in Chinese of course. Then, on my way back to the dorm, I needed to buy a lock for my safe drawer and saw a cute little creature from CJ7!

It is now acting as my key chain, so I have a harder time losing my keys.
The door key is SO strange, I've never seen such a thing before! It's a magnet and you hold it up to a little plate above the door handle and it unlocks the door. Very interesting!

Well, thats all for today and yesterday, I know it's a lot, but I know you want to know what's going on!

Tomorrow: language placements tests, gahhh! and the street of scorpion shish-ka-bobs! yummy!

All the way from the land of CJ7 and crazy knock offs.

2 comments on "Oriental Orientated"

Anonymous said...

Well you and your room-mate seem to be well matched. That's a funny story to tell. And I didn't know that you were such an expert when it came to black-market price-levels!

Your room is really quite nice, I think. It would take me a while to get used to the bathroom situation, but if I were creative, I could save a lot of time in the morning...

Your title reminds me of a bad joke: if an oriental person spins around for a while, do they become dis-... never mind.

As for the animals, I suppose its worth a try to build a little rapport with the shop owner; maybe if you build trust with him, he'll allow you to walk some of the animals. You could make the point to him that the animals will sell for a lot more if they are, erm, alive, and also that happier animals live longer. If he shows any doubt, be sure to iterate that you have almost two decades of Hello Kitty experience ^..*^

ms07042 on September 5, 2008 at 11:44 AM said...

I enjoyed reading on how you thought you and your roommate were matched together. Very funny! I liked that you put a link to CJ7, the movie trailer. If not for you, I don't even know there is a movie called CJ7. Has the movie ever been shown in the U.S.?

I am sure you will have so much fun studying in China; so far, your posts have revealed plenty of interesting topics and funny observations.

 

Chaos in Chinese Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez