Saturday, September 13, 2008

You want to buy some Coochie? ...You mean Gucci?

Posted by Cassie Chao at Saturday, September 13, 2008
September 13, 2008

Just sitting here, snacking on some "Fitness" cereal. Yes, I know, it's 5 p.m. and I'm just eating breakfast. I have had a pretty hectic past three days. On Thursday night, most of us headed to KTV, Karaoke Television. Mind you, this was the first time I had ever done Karaoke and was pumped for the experience. Of course, as you remember from an earlier post, I was sick. So, some singing for a few hours over my sickness was not the brightest idea. So as of now, I am a bit voiceless...and I sound like a smoker on a naughty line. I joke, but Laura knows what I mean.

Yesterday, a group of us woke up extremely early to get to the Bird's Nest at 10 a.m. We watched the Paralympic Track & Field events and took some pictures around the Olympic Green. My, oh my, how beautiful these Olympic Stadiums are and of such behemoth size! In my opinon, the events were much more exciting on HDTV at home on the La-z-boy. No waiting, no squished spaced seating, only clear, bright, and crisp athletes on a wide 52" screen.

I had to take a nap yesterday afternoon for the first time here, without the influence of jet lag. I was just so exhausted from the previous night of Maiya Hees and Maiya Hoos.... and of course Maiya Ha Has. But afterwards, Laura and I headed to Xidan for a shopping experience, and once again after 4+ hours of walking around, we manage to return to the dorms empty handed, aside from our two bubble drinks, of course, and a 5 RMB (less than 1 USD) LeSportSac pocket clutch.

Once little anecdote about Laura and my shopping experience is the gaudy clothing sported here in BJ. What are they thinking?! So, I am a big fan of American Apparel styled clothing: simple cuts, multiple styles, range of colors. However, simplicity does not seem to be in China's fashion dictionary. I asked for a simple summer dress so I could look decent in a "going out" setting. One woman brings out this ruffly, leapord print, sheer potato sack and asked me in Chinese, "how is this for cute and 'seksi'". All I could do was laugh and said, "no offense, but I must decline", in Chinese. If you cannot tell from this anecdote, I shall just inform you that the shopping here for women's clothing is not anything close to Western styled clothing.

At another shop, just an amusing dialogue between a purse vendor, Laura, and myself...
Purse vendor: You want buy some "coochie"?
Laura: Some "hoochie"?
Me: Is she calling you a coochie?
Laura: Coochie?
Purse vendor: you no want "coochie"?
Laura and me: Uh, no.
Purse vendor: What do you want then?

We walk away....Me: I think she meant Gucci....how many purses would the woman have paid me to help her learn some English?

Last night, some of us headed to Sanlitun'r, a social hangout area for ex-pats apparently. It was exciting, but nothing like TW's night life. But remember, no political remises on my blog! TW is dearly missed though, especially the shopping... and the food....and the night life. :)
I met up with a fellow Smithie from my Chinese class. She's not at the Alliance program at BLCU for the fall, but she was during the summer. It's great to see Smithies around the world. If only had had a multiple entry visa, I'd be able to go visit the Smithies in HK.

Today is most definitely an "in-day" as we call it, and tonight will definitely be an "in-night". Just did some Chinese essays and read a few articles for my Sociology class. I'll finish the rest tomorrow as tonight is movie night! We will be watching Wall-E and the original Mr. and Mrs. Smith by Hitchcock: yes my fave.

Pictures will be updated shortly, I need to take a break now!
As for my cold: its just my lost voice, not feeling crummy at all, no worries Mom and Dad!

All the way from the land of KTV, tacky, leapord print adornments, and coochie purses.

3 comments on "You want to buy some Coochie? ...You mean Gucci?"

Anonymous said...

hi jie jie! how is it in china!!!!! Your blog is kir-awesome!

From ME!!! (Chris)... (chao)

Weien on September 14, 2008 at 2:46 PM said...

I'm serious, this morning when I heard my own voice I was like, "Wow, I could get a job on one those lines." ^^

Good luck finding non-bubble clothing.

Unknown on September 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM said...

你的病好了吗?

 

Chaos in Chinese Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez