Sunday, September 21, 2008

Back Alleys

Posted by Cassie Chao at Sunday, September 21, 2008
September 21, 2008

I'm updating, which means there must have been something interesting that happened over the weekend! I can say...somewhat. On Friday, I actually went to the doctor's and they told me I had pharyngitis and trachea-itis. Got some antibiotics for it, but of course I took them all at once, caused me to "semi" throw-up. My friends here have different philosophies on the description of vomiting. ANYWAY. I'm doing much better now, just the air conditioner is causing me coughing fits, so its unbearable to sleep with it on, but even worse to turn it off.

Yesterday, we went to the HuTongs (historic alleys) by Hou Hai (Back Lake). I love that Alliance plans all of these excursions for us to traverse around Beijing. We got to sit in the bicycle carriages (?) Of course, pictures always help!

I did get to ride the bike, which was quite difficult, but this is totally a posed picture. Our driver, whom we named Tommy, from his Chinese name Wen Tao, was such a nice driver, although he would say he was tired constantly. Laura and I felt so terrible, so of course we tried to take over the driving. It proved extremely difficult as we attempted to steer the bike forward, but would always turn to the right and tip.

We had some lunch in a family's home, it's been a while since I've had a home cooked meal, yes Daddy, including your beef and asparagus dishes! We also visited a SiHeYuan (four-sectional house) and had some tea. Walked around a bit more...

After our alley tour, six of us went to go paddle boating on the lakes (Hou Hai, Xi Hai, Qian Hai). A lot of others were sick (not from me!) so not many stayed behind to come with us. On our little boating trip, we saw three couples getting marriage photos taken by the lake. It was, in my mind, sort of weird. We suggested that they were all celebrating their marriages at the same wedding to save money (haha, I kid).

Today, I spent most of the day in the dorm doing Chinese homework. I also met up with my language partner, and of course Eric and his language partner (she's my LP's roomate). I taught them how to play Hearts (the card game) in CHINESE. Try and explain Hearts in English. Not so simple, huh. Imagine how I felt trying to explain it in a different language. Both of our language partners are planning to come meet up with us again tomorrow night, and we're planning on playing Spoons. Don't know what Spoons is? you're missing out, big time.

So all in all, sickness is better, lost about 9 pounds already, from I don't know what...Perhaps just walking more than I do back in the States. Doing well in Chinese, meeting Chinese people, and having a blast with the Alliance kids. We leave this upcoming Friday for the Silk Road and I'm overly enthusiastic about it. Perhaps "Contact" will be played again, or some Big Booty?

All the way from the Jing, for now.

1 comments on "Back Alleys"

Danni on September 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM said...

Man, I haven't played Spoons in ages!

 

Chaos in Chinese Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez